Saturday, March 10, 2012

Sweet tooth

Seemed the theme for dinner was sweetness.  Maybe I was subconsciously craving chocolate ice cream or a slice of pecan pie.  Whatever it was, it made me want to treat dinner like dessert.  But with a healthy twist.
I picked up some beautiful little Brussels sprouts at the market along with a massive head of cauliflower.  I decided to roast those (only used half of the cauliflower, it was so massive) and then as a special treat tossed them with a craisin, balsamic reduction.  Oh yeah..... 
The reduction was simple. I put about a quarter cup of craisins in a bowl and added some hot water until they plumped up. I drained them and added them to some good balsamic vinegar (not grocery store stuff...use the good stuff) in a small pot and simmered until reduced.
Moroccan couscous salad made with quinoa instead of couscous.  This was so yummy and I'm glad there are leftovers to snack on later.  I cooked the quinoa in water, cayenne, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, ground ginger and salt.  I let the cooked quinoa cool and then added, chopped green bell pepper, cilantro, onion, chickpeas, raisins, craisins, walnuts, dates and mandarin oranges.  For the dressing I combined the juice of one navel orange, some brown sugar, grape seed oil and salt.
It was a great little Saturday dinner.  Sweet as pie.  See?  You can take care of that sweet tooth and eat a healthy meal.  No meat, no dairy, no problem!

No comments: