Sunday, June 10, 2012

I must have been thinking corn

I didn't plan for dinner to be themed around corn, but it ended up that way.  Chris and I had been wanting to get a tortilla press for the longest time and it wasn't until my recent Bon Appetite magazine came in and we read their special section on fresh made tacos that got us rolling.  We paid about twenty bucks for a good press and found a bag of masa and that's all we needed!
To make corn tortillas all you need is masa, salt and water.  We used two cups of masa to make about 18 tortillas.
Chris mixed the ingredients until it had the consistency of playdoh.  We used a sandwich bag that we cut to keep the dough from sticking to the press.  He made sure each rolled out portion was the about the size of a walnut.

After being pressed.
About 1 to 2 mins on one side and about 20 seconds on the the other.  We used a cast iron skillet on medium to high heat and no oil.
Yummy!  Not bad for the first time!  Chris had fun and we really enjoyed making them.

I had also made some polenta earlier in the day. One batch will last all week when I make it.  I like to pour it in a dish until it cools and hardened.  Once I do that I can cut out pieces to sear until crispy.
Seared polenta squares.  I do have to add some Pam to the pan for these.  To keep my polenta vegan, I use Smart Balance instead of butter and nutritional yeast instead of Parmesan cheese.  They totally rock!
Made some chili (again).  A pot of chili really lasts for us.  This version had corn (hmm), black beans, cannellini beans, edamame, Field Roast Italian sausage, black olives, tomatoes, onions and peppers.
Feast complete.  Served chili over brown rice, had our corn tortillas, polenta squares and some sauteed collard greens. 
Kris's thoughts on collard greens.

No comments: