Sunday, September 16, 2012

Instant Gratification

Gluten free now means I have to also find out what products are out there to appease my instant gratification needs or alternatives for baking. Thanks to Bob's Red Mill products, there are many options for flours, cake mixes, grains, seeds, etc to choose from.

For those instant gratification needs for items like bread, pretzels, frozen waffles or other snacks, I'll need to try some new products out.   I make sure to ingest plenty of plant life, but on occasion just want a handful of salty pretzels, some tortilla chips and salsa or crispy rice crackers with hummus.  I understand that grabbing a "product" also means there may be ingredients that I have to pay attention to.

I did find a good frozen bagel! 
I found these in the freezer section with a whole assortment of other Udi's gluten free products.  They were not the same consistency of traditional bagels but where quite delicious in their own way.  Kind of like, bagel meets cornbread. 

I smeared a little Tofutti - Better Than Cream Cheese on top.
I was surprised how closely the Tofutti cream cheese tasted like cream cheese.  It was a great little tasting.

I do have two issues.  One more severe than the other.  The bagels have egg whites in them.  I can live with that.  The cream cheese; however, had the second ingredient listed as hydrogenated soybean oil.  That's more of an issue.  It's dairy free, gluten free and cholesterol free but hydrogenated oils are bad news for the old ticker.

My thought process behind enjoying these two "treats" are that I'll only consume in moderation (while savoring every second) and just hope that the fact that I abstain from animal fats 99.9% of the time will make up for the 1% I do consume those not so healthy ingredients.

I can't win them all and frankly it can be overwhelming to try.  I have to pick my battles with food just as I do with my kids or other elements to life.  The bagels and cream "cheese" tasted damn good and I'll eat them again.  And that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  :)

No comments: