Thursday, February 28, 2013

Childhood obesity

I'm not a political person.  As a matter of fact I am a registered non-partisan as I vote for the "lesser of two evils" when it comes down to it.  My voting history has shown I have voted either way, depending on the issues and the person.

So this post has nothing to do with my political preference.  It has to do with how I'm impressed with Michelle Obama's fight against childhood obesity and the promotion of healthy eating and exercise.

There was an article on Yahoo called "Some results of First Lady's anti-obesity effort".  You can click on the title to read the entire article if you want.
The first lady has been dedicated to informing the public and working to get healthier lunches and updating the nutritional requirements for schools.  She has been trying to get the junk food out of schools and to require healthier alternatives.  She also has been pushing for a more active lifestyle for kids.  More exercise and recess time for children.

She is getting companies such as Wal-Mart to start packaging food with less sodium and less sugar as well as influencing other companies to provide nutritional information on their products.  This also branches out to restaurants providing better options for the children's menus other than hot dogs or macaroni and cheese.

I personally love the addition of salad bars in schools.  It gives the kids the opportunity to have the freedom to choose what they want and those options being healthier.  My high school had a salad bar, and I hit it often.

I laugh when I hear that people complain that this effort is a government intrusion on people's rights to choose what they eat.  It's funny because people don't realize that the government has been influencing what you have been eating and drinking for decades. 

Here are two terms you know and both of them proven to cause heart disease, cancer, osteoporosis and obesity (to name a few).  Remember "got milk?" or "It's beef, that's what's for dinner."?  Who funds those billions of dollars for advertising?  Think about it.

I don't see any billboards or commercials on eating fruits and vegetables.  There are no profits in fruit and veg.

For those parents ticked that their children are being "forced" to eat healthier, my response would be that they have a choice.  If they don't want their children to eat healthy food, they can always pack them a lunch of fat, salt and sugar.
All I have to say is go Michelle go on this one!  

No comments: