Saturday, March 16, 2013

Much better at home

I have been buying those rolls of packaged polenta lately that are super easy to deal with.  Just peel, slice and cook.  Problem with those handy dandy rolls is they have more ingredients than needed and for the price of one roll; which never makes enough for us to truly enjoy, I can buy a bag of polenta which makes about three jumbo servings.

To make a batch for two purposes (creamy and solid form) I use two cups polenta, 4 cups water, 3 tablespoons Smart Balance buttery vegan spread, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast (to replace the Parmesan cheese).  My heart healthy version tastes just as lovely as its butter and cheese filled counterpart.  I mean, polenta is just grits really.  It's sweet and creamy on its own, you don't need to embellish it too much.

It's easy and fast.  Boil the water, add the polenta, salt and pepper.  Lower the heat and stir until thickened and the polenta is cooked.  Turn off heat and add the "butter" and nutritional yeast.  Done.  It's creamy and delish!
You can sort of see the creamy polenta under the sauce and veg meatballs.

I'll make sure to post what I do with the leftover polenta.  I poured the leftover polenta in a loaf pan and put it in the frig.  When I'm ready to use it I can cut out slices to sear, cut into cubes or add more liquid and have creamy polenta again.  I will most likely slice and sear...just like I did with the packaged roles I used to buy.

No comments: