Monday, July 22, 2013

Keep this list handy

Keep this list handy if you can't afford or don't have access to a full organic pantry (both would apply for me). 
Just do your best to get organic for those listed on the dirty dozen list.  Especially those apples!  They are number one on the contaminated list. 
 
So far I have noticed that organic foods have richer colors, the fruit is sweeter and the veg more flavorful.  Even not fully ripe (somewhat white) organic strawberries are ten times sweeter than conventional, which usually is bitter.
 
Also, if you can get local produce that's organic (not certified), it's still organic. These small farmers may not have the funds to be certified, but they still produce a clean and superior product.  Also, your dollars will go to a local business verses a mega-agri-business.
 
So far I have been successful in finding grapes, oranges, apples, strawberries, blueberries, grape tomatoes, peaches, apricots, and celery at my local grocery store.  Sometimes they have potatoes or cucumbers on hand.  Honestly, they are getting better slowly at providing more.  Depending on the week, some of the items are the same or even cheaper than conventional.  Some are more.  On those weeks I weigh my options to decide if I want to spend more or just select other items.
 
There are some vegetables I get from the health food store that I visit weekly.  They have organic greens much cheaper than Whole Foods.  I can get organic dandelion greens, kale, Swiss chard and other select greens there at a good price.  Since I live out in the stix I have to travel for certain foods that I can't get from my local grocery store.  I have a local produce market, but I'll only get items on the clean 15 from them since I don't believe they are selling organics, just local.
 
I visit Whole Foods when I am out of certain lentils or other dry goods that my closer health food store doesn't carry.  There's also an organic market in the city, but it's a long drive so I only stop by there when I am heading that way for another errand.  Usually I bounce from my local grocery store, health food store and local produce market.  I wish there were more organic markets in my area, but not yet.
 
I soon hope (hopefully in the late fall or winter) to be able to grow a large garden of my own.  Then I can grow my own organic foods and hopefully save tons on my grocery bill.  We'll be moving soon and I'll give you more info on that when I have some!
 
In the meantime.  Keep this list in your purse or pocket when getting your produce!


No comments: