Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Want some pasta, can't have the carbs?

There are plenty of options out there if you are like me and trying to get gluten free and also lower on carb intake.  There is brown rice, wild rice, sweet potatoes and quinoa for example.  There's also that option to get that pasta feeling without even coming close to eating pasta.  It's spiralized zucchini.

You can eat it raw and in this case, I cooked it just enough to warm it.  Don't over cook it or you will have mush on your hands and what's the point in that?  Less nutrients and you won't get that pasta feel.
I started by baking some sweet potatoes.  Once baked I just cut them in half lengthwise.  For me, I only gave myself a half of a tater.

My pasta idea started by sautéing a chopped onion, chopped yellow bell pepper, sliced mushrooms and some cubed firm tofu with some salt, a little oil and a bit of red Thai curry spice. You can spice it up anyway you like or not at all, but I do recommend salt and pepper at least. 

While those were sautéing, in a food processor I made a vegan "Alfredo sauce" concoction.  I'm trying to remember what I did as I didn't measure when I made it.  Here goes:
  • 1 large clove garlic
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 1 tablespoon Braggs liquid aminos (or soy sauce)
  • 3 tablespoons tahini
  • salt and pepper
  • about a half a cup of almond milk (added as needed for creaminess)
  • 3 or so tablespoons nutritional yeast.
First remember to break down the garlic before adding the other ingredients.  Taste as you go.  You may need more salt or almond milk depending on the texture and taste you are looking for.

Once processed put in a bowl and just heat a bit before topping your pasta.

Just before you are ready to chow down, get your spiralizer out and spiral two large zucchini squash. Add that to your pot of simmering onions, tofu and mushrooms for about 3 minutes or until warmed through.  DON'T OVERCOOK!

Serve the pasta over the sweet potato and top with that sauce.
Let me just say; Chris was moaning as he ate this stuff.  He loved the sauce and "pasta" so very much.  I had to blog this just so I could remember what I did!  I also wanted to share.  This dish is plant strong, heart healthy and carb friendly.  You don't have to use tofu and you don't have to include the sweet potatoes.  Play with it! I never make anything the same twice it seems...I always mix it up a bit and it always depends on what I have to work with.

The best part is, when you are eating it, you think you are eating something sinful and rich - but you're not.  Yeah baby!

No comments: